Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly.burovoy@gmail.com> wrote:
Haribabu Kommi, why have you read enough about EUI-64?
Your function "macaddr64_trunc" sets 4 lower bytes as 0 whereas
(according to the Wikipedia, but I can look for a standard) 3 bytes
are still define an OUI (organizationally unique identifier), so
truncation should be done for 5, not 4 lower octets.

The macros "hibits" should be 3 octets long, not 4; "lobits" --- 5 bytes, not 4.
In the other case your comparisons fail.

What document have you used to write the patch? Are short form formats
correct in macaddr64_in?

Yes, OUI is 24 bits. I just created prototype patch to check community opinion on it.
I checked the following links [1], [2] for the development of macaddr8. But the patch is
not correct for all the cases, it is just a prototype to see whether it accepts 8 byte
MAC address or not?