Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] BUG #14634: On Windows pg_basebackup shouldwrite tar to stdout in binary mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] BUG #14634: On Windows pg_basebackup shouldwrite tar to stdout in binary mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 3 May 2017 at 12:32, Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Adding -hackers mailing list]
>
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 6:28 PM, <henry_boehlert@agilent.com> wrote:
>>
>> The following bug has been logged on the website:
>>
>> Bug reference:      14634
>> Logged by:          Henry Boehlert
>> Email address:      henry_boehlert@agilent.com
>> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.2
>> Operating system:   Windows Server 2012 R2 6.3.9600
>>
>> Executing command pg_basebackup -D -F t writes its output to stdout, which
>> is open in text mode, causing LF to be converted to CR LF thus corrupting
>> the resulting archive.
>>
>> To write the tar to stdout, on Windows stdout's mode should be temporarily
>> switched to binary.
>>
>> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/tw4k6df8.aspx
>

> Thanks for reporting the issue.
> With the attached patch, I was able to extract the tar file that gets
> generated when the tar file is written into stdout. I tested the
> the compressed tar also.
>
> This bug needs to be fixed in back branches also.

We should do the same for pg_dump in -Fc mode.

There are no "CR LF" characters that are present in the dump file
that is created with custom format.

what is the problem do you see in custom format that needs similar
handling like pg_basebackup?

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia