Re: [HACKERS] pg_stat_wal_write statistics view - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pg_stat_wal_write statistics view
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Julien Rouhaud <julien.rouhaud@dalibo.com> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 02:53:44PM +1100, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> Here I attached patch that implements the view.
> I will add this patch to next commitfest.

Hello,

I just reviewed the patch.

Thanks for the review.

First, there are some whitespace issues that make git-apply complaining (at
least lines 218 and 396).

Removed.

Patch is rather straightforward and works as expected, doc compiles without
issue.

I only found some minor issues:

+      <entry>One row only, showing statistics about the
+       wal writing activity. See

+      <entry>Number of wal writes that are carried out by the backend process</entry>

WAL should be uppercase (and for some more occurences).

Fixed.

+      <entry>
+      Number of wal writes that are carried out by background workers such as checkpointer,
+      writer and walwriter.

I guess you meant backgroung processes?

Yes, it is background processes. Updated.

>+      This field data will be populated only when the track_io_timing GUC is enabled
(and similar occurences)

track_io_timing should link to <xref linkend="guc-track-io-timing"> instead of
mentionning GUC.

Updated accordingly.

I think you also need to update the track_io_timing description in
sgml/config.sgml to mention this new view.

Added the reference of pg_stat_walwrites in the GUC description.

+           else
+           {
+               LocalWalWritesStats.m_wal_total_write_time = 0;
(and similar ones)

The brackets seem unnecessary.

Corrected.

Updated patch attached.