macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Haribabu Kommi
Subject macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support
Date
Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
There was bug that is raised in [1] related to storing EUI-64 mac address
in PostgreSQL MAC address datatype.

As the current macaddr datatype stores only 48 bit MAC address only, and now a days
people are adopting to EUI-64 format of MAC address. So it better to add the support
in PostgreSQL.

Here I attached a POC patch that adds the support for EUI-64 MAC address storage with a
new datatype macaddr64. Currently this type takes only EUI-64 datatype, not accepts 48
bit MAC address.

Before continuing and adding more details for macaddr64 datatype, it is not possible to
add the support for current macaddr datatype as it is a fixed size datatype that is stored
in the disk. So any enhancements to change it from 48 to 64 bit will give problems to
pg_upgrade.

As we are moving to PostgreSQL 10, so are there any plans of backward compatiblity
breakage, so the existing macaddr datatype itself can be changed to support both
48 and 64 bit MAC addresses. If not, I will try update the POC patch with more details
similar like macaddr datatype.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia