Re: pgtune or similar to assist in initial settings - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Imre Samu
Subject Re: pgtune or similar to assist in initial settings
Date
List pgsql-performance
 So looking for a good start as I start bringing up systems in Amazon,  AWS for performance.

Maybe useful information:

- "Amazon Web Services – RDBMS in the Cloud: PostgreSQL on AWS"  (2013)

https://aws.amazon.com/whitepapers/postgresql-in-the-cloud/  Download Whitepaper

-" Amazon EBS Volume Performance on Linux Instances"
  http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/EBSPerformance.html

Imre

I've found that pgtune doesn't quite provide the benefit that I would
like. It still uses large work mem and maintenance work mem numbers,
even though, up until now Postgres has an issue with large numbers of
tuples, so seems that smaller settings are better, in the 64MB type
range. (based on feedback from this list in the past and testing of
larger numbers on dedicated systems).

Also I've found no benefit to larger Effective cache numbers in boxen
dedicated to postgres.

 So looking for a good start as I start bringing up systems in Amazon,
AWS for performance.

pgtune is a great idea, but it's numbers seem to be based on what
should be, vs what is..

I'm currently on CentOS6 and 9.4.5

Hardware specs of the AWS systems are 8 cpu/60 GB, I may bump that to
a 16/122gb, but trying to control costs and I know going from 8 to 32
yielded almost 0, my biggest gain was memory but even then I don't
think I've got settings correct.

Thanks
Tory