Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Young
Subject Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"
Date
Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
I am just wondering, why "localhost" entry in /etc/hosts is editable
and why 127.0.0.1 not fixed with loopback interface?
should you agree with that we should submit a patch to kernel to
resolve "localhost" to 127.0.0.1 statically need no entry in
/etc/hosts and loopback interface bind to 127.0.0.1 not changeable?
If your answer is NO.
Why you give me this option to configure /etc/hosts or loopback
interface as well as deprive my option which hostname or IP for
statistics_collector to listen on?
Why operating system designed flexible and database system wrote in hard-co=
ding?

Hard-coding is even worse than broken configuration:
1."broken configuration" is still configurable, that is the problem
could be fixed WITHIN the system.
2.hard-coding is NOT configurable, that is the problem must be aided
from OUTSIDE of the system to workaround.

configurable is just better than NOT configurable.
So, why we did no work to make things better, whereas wasting time to
insist hard-coding almost always right?