Re: Errors recovering database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Henrique Teófilo
Subject Re: Errors recovering database
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi Tom.

Actually the -p paremeter has the argument, but I think I've removed it to clarify the command, because it comes from a variable $pgport in my script.

Concerning to tar command, I think you're right, I didn't notice... but it did work great until pop up these erros in the end, so I've googled and I've seen other people with the same problem, what led me to think it was a postgres error.

I'll try again unwrapping the file properly

Thanks.

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Henrique Teófilo <henriquetft@gmail.com> writes:
> Dumping:
> pg_dump -p -U'postgres' -C -f ./dumpbkp mydatabase
> tar -cvzf dumpbkp.tar.gz dumpbkp

> Restoring:
> cat dumpbkp.tar.gz | gunzip | psql -U'postgres'

AFAICS that ought not work at all, not even a little bit.  You've
wrapped the dump script into a tar archive, and then not unwrapped it.

The pg_dump argument list seems a bit less than kosher, as well ...
doesn't -p require an argument?

                       regards, tom lane