Re: dropping all databases and starting afresh - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Matheus de Oliveira
Subject Re: dropping all databases and starting afresh
Date
List pgsql-admin

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <zoltans@geograph.co.za> wrote:
neither:
postgres@gs01:/etc$ pg_dropcluster –-stop 9.4 gisdata
Usage: /usr/bin/pg_dropcluster [--stop] <version> <cluster>
nor
postgres@gs01:/etc$ pg_dropcluster –-stop 9.4 postgres
Usage: /usr/bin/pg_dropcluster [--stop] <version> <cluster>
works.
I've done no createdb commands, so dopdb shouldn't be what I want for this cleanup (I'd think).

If you copied+pasted the exact command you run, then no wonder it is wrong. If you look closer you are not calling "--stop", the first dash is another character (not minus/hyphen character). One is "EN DASH" with code 0xe28093 [1], while the correct one is "HYPHEN-MINUS" with code 0x2d [2].

Also, execute pg_lsclusters to see what clusters you actually have on this instance, then you can use the version and cluster name provided there to call pg_dropcluster.
Best regards,
--
Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados