Re: create role/user management - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Steve Midgley
Subject Re: create role/user management
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 12:44 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 9:38 AM Kirti Adesara <kdadesara@hotmail.com> wrote:
I have a database with multiple tables, functions and triggers in public schema.

You should stop using the public schema.

I want to create a user that can login to database and select on specific tables and cannot access to any functions, triggers and specific tables.

Maybe provide an example what what is not presently working the way you expect and describe how you would like it to work - after refraining from using the public schema.

Thanks as always David for your contributions here. My question is mildly off-topic, but our engineering team was recently discussing this great wiki page (https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Don%27t_Do_This).

Can you explain why this user should stop using public schema? Is that a general principle or related to this user's situation? (If general, should we add it to the "Don't Do This" page?)

Steve