Re: Added schema level support for publication. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Nancarrow
Subject Re: Added schema level support for publication.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 3:21 PM vignesh C <vignesh21@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the comment, this is modified in the v15 patch attached.

I have several minor review comments.

(1) src/backend/catalog/objectaddress.c
Should start comment sentences with an uppercase letter, for consistency.

+ /* fetch publication name and schema oid from input list */

I also notice that some 1-sentence comments end with "." (full-stop)
and others don't. It seems to alternate all over the place, and so is
quite noticeable.
Unfortunately, it already seems to be like this in much of the code
that this patch patches.
Ideally (at least my personal preference is) 1-sentence comments
should not end with a ".".

(2) src/backend/catalog/pg_publication.c
errdetail message

I think the following should say "Temporary schemas ..." (since the
existing error message for tables says "System tables cannot be added
to publications.").

+   errdetail("Temporary schema cannot be added to publications.")));

(3) src/backend/commands/publicationcmds.c
PublicationAddTables

I think that the Assert below is not correct (i.e. not restrictive enough).
Although the condition passes, it is allowing, for example,
stmt->for_all_tables==true if stmt->schemas==NIL, and that doesn't
seem to be correct.
I suggest the following change:

BEFORE:
+ Assert(!stmt || !stmt->for_all_tables || !stmt->schemas);
AFTER:
+ Assert(!stmt || (!stmt->for_all_tables && !stmt->schemas));

(4) src/backend/commands/publicationcmds.c
PublicationAddSchemas

Similarly, I think that the Assert below is not restrictive enough,
and think it should be changed:

BEFORE:
+ Assert(!stmt || !stmt->for_all_tables || !stmt->tables);
AFTER:
+ Assert(!stmt || (!stmt->for_all_tables && !stmt->tables));

(5) src/bin/pg_dump/common.c

Spelling mistake.

BEFORE:
+ pg_log_info("reading publciation schemas");
AFTER:
+ pg_log_info("reading publication schemas");

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia