Re: Parallel INSERT (INTO ... SELECT ...) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Nancarrow
Subject Re: Parallel INSERT (INTO ... SELECT ...)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 7:01 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> I have few points (inspired from parallel copy feature work) to mention:
>
> 1. What if the target table is a foreign table or partitioned table?
> 2. What happens if the target table has triggers(before statement,
> after statement, before row, after row) that are parallel unsafe?
> 3. Will each worker be doing single row insertions or multi inserts?
> If single row insertions, will the buffer lock contentions be more?
> 5. How does it behave with toast columns values?
> 6. How does it behave if we have a RETURNING clause with INSERT INTO SELECT?

Hi Bharath,

Thanks for pointing out more cases I need to exclude and things I need
to investigate further.
I have taken note of them, and will do more testing and improvement.
At least RETURNING clause with INSERT INTO SELECT is working!

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia