Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Nancarrow
Subject Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history
Date
Re: Correct handling of blank/commented lines in PSQL interactive-mode history
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> writes:
> > (BTW, the patches are in Windows CRLF format, so on Linux at least I
> > needed to convert them using dos2unix so they'd apply using Git)
>
> Hmm.  Applying "od -c" to the copy of that message that's in my
> PG list folder shows clearly that there's no \r in it, nor do
> I see any when I save off the attachment.  I suppose this must
> be an artifact of the way that your MUA treats text attachments;
> or maybe the mail got mangled on its way to you.

Yeah, sorry, looks like it could be a Gmail issue for me.
When I alternatively downloaded your patches from the pgsql-hackers
archive, they're in Unix format, as you say.
After a bit of investigation, it seems that patch attachments (like
yours) with a Context-Type of "text/x-diff" download through Gmail in
CRLF format for me (I'm running a browser on Windows, but my Postgres
development environment is in a Linux VM). So those must get converted
from Unix to CRLF format if downloaded using a browser running on
Windows.
The majority of patch attachments (?) seem to have a Context-Type of
"application/octet-stream" or "text/x-patch", and these seem to
I guess the attachment context-type is varying according to the mail
client used for posting.

Sorry for the noise.

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow