Re: Best Strategy for Large Number of Images - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Estevan Rech
Subject Re: Best Strategy for Large Number of Images
Date
Re: Best Strategy for Large Number of Images  (Marc Millas <marc.millas@mokadb.com>)
Re: Best Strategy for Large Number of Images  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Adrian,

I have an application that takes pictures of items and uses them as evidence in a report.

These images are saved and then used to generate a report.

Each item averages 10 photos and I have about 2 million photos currently, with an average growth of 1 million photos over the next year.

I think about using it within the database because of the ease of selecting records with the content of the images (when necessary).

I think my biggest concern is to continue to use this strategy for the next 2 years and encounter a PostgreSQL limitation or some failure and have to migrate database again or have significant loss of images. And on the contrary too, if I use it on disk and in 2 years I find some failure or file limit in the operating system (currently it's windows server 2016)...

Related to this is the backup service that seems to me that in a disaster, I can restore the database relatively quickly if it's in the database. On the disk, I believe that the restoration is much slower and I don't think it's reliable that all the images are copied/restored.