Re: Arguments to foreign tables? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ronan Dunklau
Subject Re: Arguments to foreign tables?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Maybe you could set some options on the foreign table before selecting from it ?
Another way you could achieve the same result would be to give some column a special meaning (like it is done in the twitter_fdw for example).

If you don't mind, do you have a specific use-case for this ?

--
Ronan Dunklau

2012/11/6 Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>
> Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> > Is there any fundamental or philosophical reason why a foreign table
> > can't accept arguments?
>
> That isn't a table; it's some sort of function.  Now that we have
> LATERAL, there is no good reason to contort SQL's syntax and semantics
> in the direction you suggest.

Maybe I should rephrase this as a problem with SRFs: you don't get to
define the init/exec/end executor functions, and you don't get access to
the optimizer information.

It seems like foreign tables are a better mechanism (except for the
simple cases where you don't care about the details), and the only thing
an SRF can do that a foreign table can't is accept arguments. So, I
thought maybe it would make more sense to combine the mechanisms
somehow.

Take something as simple as generate_series: right now, it materializes
the entire thing if it's in the FROM clause, but it wouldn't need to if
it could use the foreign table mechanism.

Regards,
        Jeff Davis