Re: Skip trigger? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Manuel Gómez
Subject Re: Skip trigger?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:38 AM,  <wolfgang@alle-noten.de> wrote:
> I have a table with a row update trigger that is quite slow.
> The trigger finction basically sets some bits in a "changed" column
> depending on which values really changed.
> For some bulk updates it can be determined in advance that the
> trigger function will not have any effect.
> Is there any way to run an update query and specify that it should not
> activate the trigger.
> I know that I can disable the trigger and reenable it later;
> however other concurrent updates mights need it

Indeed the main issue is how you want to handle concurrency.  ALTER
TABLE statements to disable triggers works and is transactional, but
locks the table, which may be undesired.  Here are some useful
pointers: http://blog.endpoint.com/2015/07/selectively-firing-postgres-triggers.html