Re: xlog file naming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: xlog file naming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> The return value of pg_start_backup that currently looks something like
>>
>>  pg_start_backup
>> -----------------
>>  8D1/C9013758
>>
>> should really be
>>
>>  000008D1C9013758
>>
>> (perhaps the timeline should be included?)
>
> This change might break some tools which depends on such a result format.
> Instead of that, what about introducing something like pg_current_timeline()
> function which literally returns the current timeline ID,

until here i found it could have some use

> and extending
> pg_xlogfile_name() so that it accepts not only LSN but also the timeline?
> This idea enables us to get the backup start WAL file name by executing
> "SELECT pg_xlogfile_name(pg_current_timeline(), pg_start_backup());".

we can do "SELECT pg_xlogfile_name(pg_start_backup())" now, so how is
that different?

> Furthermore, in the same way, we can get the backup end WAL file name or
> current WAL file name from pg_stop_backup() or pg_current_xlog_location(),
> respectively.

we can do that already too

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación