Re: pgsql: Have pg_receivexlog always send an invalid log position in statu - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: pgsql: Have pg_receivexlog always send an invalid log position in statu
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 09.02.2012 15:14, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> Have pg_receivexlog always send an invalid log position in status messages
>>
>> This prevents pg_basebackup and pg_receivexlog from becoming a synchronous
>> standby in case 'write' is used for synchronous_commit.
>

> It's not completely crazy to use pg_receivexlog as a synchronous standby. It
> provides the zero-loss property like a real standby does, ie. if the master
> dies after sending the WAL to pg_receivexlog, that transaction is safe in
> the archive.

what if we ignore the application_name "pg_receivexlog" for a sync rep
and give pg_receivexlog an option to set another application_name?

that will avoid the problem for normal cases and still accept it for a
sync rep if that is what we really want

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación