Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Turning recovery.conf into GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> But I don't understand what that has to do with recovery.conf and
>> breakage around it.
>
> The simple thinking is this: if we announce and promote new replication,
> then our users who do upgrade are going to expect to upgrade their
> replication tools at the same time, even if they're not using the new
> replication.  That is people will look for a repmgr 2.0 / OmniPITR 1.5
> and update to it.
>
> Now, as a tool author, I know that supporting both models is going to be
> annoying.  But necessary.

AFAIU, even if we get in all about logical replication today that
won't affect tools that manage binary replication.

> And, as I said before, we need to do the GUC merger in the same release
> we introduce configuration directory (or after it).

you mean the ALTER SYSTEM syntax? anyway, why that restriction?

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte 24x7 y capacitación