Re: Standby trying "restore_command" before local WAL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Standby trying "restore_command" before local WAL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 11:01, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

> > What about the following cases?
> > 1. replica host crashed, and in pg_wal we have a few thousands WAL files.
>
> If this is the case then the replica was very far behind on replay,
> presumably, and in some of those cases rebuilding the replica might
> very well be faster than replaying all of that WAL.  This case does
> sound like it should be alright though.

it could also be a delayed standby, and in that case we will have in
the replica lots of valid -delayed apply on porpouse, not on master
anymore- WALs, restarting from archive in that case is a poor
solution...

--
Jaime Casanova                      www.2ndQuadrant.com