Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From mrtruji
Subject Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table
Date
Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general

Just added a new bytea type column to an existing psql table and populated the column entirely with row data. Running into some strange query results:

When I select the newly added column by itself I get all the data as expected:

SELECT new_col FROM data LIMIT 1;
Result: \x8481e7dec3650040b....

When I try to filter with 'where' on another column in the table, I get the values from the other columns as expected but empty from my new_column:

SELECT id, state, new_col FROM data WHERE state='CA' limit 1;
Result: 123456_1; CA; EMPTY ROW

The reverse is also true. If I select my new column in combination with other columns with no 'where' I get the correct value from my new column but empty for the other columns:

SELECT id, state, new_col FROM data limit 1;
Result: EMPTY ROW; EMPTY ROW; \x8481e7dec3650040b....

Thanks to anyone with advice!