Re: What are the advantages of not being able to access multiple databases with one connection? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Will Crawford
Subject Re: What are the advantages of not being able to access multiple databases with one connection?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 30 October 2012 12:37, crocket <crockabiscuit@gmail.com> wrote:
> MySQL permits a connection to access multiple databases.
> But Postgresql restricts a connection to one database.
> I think postgresql database connection is somewhat limited.
>
> Is it an old and decrepit design? or does it deserve some appreciations?

Actually, a "database" in postgresql supports multiple "schemas", and
the "databases" in mysql are more or less congruent to those. To put
it another way, pg has a three-level namespace which can be accessed
through the same host and port combination; mysql only has two levels.
Is that better?