Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aleksander Alekseev
Subject Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Peter,

> I think there needs to be a bit more soul searching here on how to
> handle that in the future and how to transition it.  I don't think
> targeting this patch for PG15 is useful at this point.

The patches can be reordered so that we are still able to deliver SLRU
refactoring in PG15.

> As a more general point, I don't like plastering these bulky casts all
> over the place.  Casts hide problems.

Regarding the casts, I don't like them either. I agree that it could
be a good idea to invest a little more time into figuring out if this
transit can be handled in a better way and deliver this change in the
next CF. However, if no one will be able to suggest a better
alternative, I think we should continue making progress here. The
32-bit XIDs are a major inconvenience for many users.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev