Re: Detach shared memory in Postmaster child if not needed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aleksander Alekseev
Subject Re: Detach shared memory in Postmaster child if not needed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Rui,

> Prior to PG16, postmaster children would manually detach from shared memory
> if it was not needed. However, this behavior was removed in fork mode in
> commit aafc05d.
>
> Detaching shared memory when it is no longer needed is beneficial, as
> postmaster children (like syslogger) don't wish to take any risk of
> accidentally corrupting shared memory. Additionally, any panic in these
> processes will not reset shared memory.
>
> The attached patch addresses this issue by detaching shared memory after
> fork_process().

Thanks for the patch. How do you estimate its performance impact?

Note the comments for postmaster_child_launch(). This function is
exposed to the third-party code and guarantees to attach shared
memory. I doubt that there is much third-party code in existence to
break but you should change to comment.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev