Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aleksander Alekseev
Subject Re: XID formatting and SLRU refactorings (was: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

> Here is v23. As was suggested by Alexander above, I've changed the order of the patches and improved the commit
message.Now, SLRU patch is the first.

Many thanks!

> There were proposals to make use of SLRU pages numbers that are in fact unsigned and change from int to uint64. I
fullysupport this, but I'm not sure this big SLRU refactoring should be done in this patchset.

If it takes a lot of effort and doesn't bring us any closer to 64-bit
XIDs, I suggest not doing this in v23-0001. I can invest some time
into this refactoring in April and create a separate CF entry, if
someone will second the idea.

> In general, I consider this patchset is ready to commit. It would be great to deliver it in PG15.

+1.

v23-0002 seems to have two extra sentences in the commit message that
are outdated, but this is a minor issue. The commit message should be:

"""
Replace the %u formatting string for XIDs with %llu and cast to
unsigned long long. While actually XIDs are still 32 bit, this patch
completely supports both 32 and 64 bit.
"""

Since Peter expressed some concerns regarding v23-0002, maybe we
should discuss it a bit more. Although personally I doubt that we can
do much better than that, and as I recall this particular change was
explicitly requested by several people.

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev