Re: FW: Re: FW: Re: Shouldn;t this trigger be called? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Olivier Gautherot
Subject Re: FW: Re: FW: Re: Shouldn;t this trigger be called?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Stan,

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 2:47 PM stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
Forgot to cc the list again. Have to look at settings in mutt.

> > > Sorry forgot to cc the list

> > >   \COPY customer(name, location, status , c_type , bill_attention , bill_addresse , bill_address_1 , bill_address_2 , bill_city , bill_state ,  bill_country , ship_attention , ship_addresse , ship_address_1 , ship_address_2, ship_city ,ship_state  ) from '/home/stan/pm_db/live_data/ready/customer.csv'  DELIMITER ','  CSV HEADER ;
> > >
> > > and here is the function
> > >
> > > CREATE FUNCTION fix_customer_types_case()
> > > RETURNS trigger AS $$
> > > BEGIN
> > >          if NEW.c_type  IS NOT NULL
> > >   THEN
> > >           NEW.c_type := upper(cast( NEW.c_type AS TEXT));
> > >   END IF ;
> > >          if NEW.status  IS NOT NULL
> > >   THEN
> > >                   RAISE NOTICE 'Called With %', NEW.status;
> > >           NEW.status := upper(cast( NEW.status AS TEXT));
> > >   END IF ;
> > >   RAISE NOTICE 'Left With With %', NEW.status;
> > >   RAISE NOTICE 'Left With With %', NEW.c_type;
> > >          return NEW;
> > > END;
> > > $$
> > > LANGUAGE PLPGSQL;
> > >
> > > if I do an insert this function is called. However it IS NOT called for the
> > > above copy command. How can I fix that?
> >
> > I thought you said it was fixed now.
> >
> I discovered that the function was not getting defined, and fixed that. Then I
> rashly posted to the list that it was fixed, as i was certain that was the
> only issue. But after I reported that, I tried testing, with he results in
> this email.
>
> Works for INSERT, but does not fire on this \copy command.

More interesting data. I used vi to correct the incorrect case in the CSV file
being imported, and re-ran the \copy command. At this point in time, I did
see the messages from notice. I deleted the rows, re-edited back to the
incorrect case in the csv file, and the import ((\copy) failed.

So, my test tell me that the validity check is done BEFORE an attempt to
insert (thus firing the trigger) occurs.

Interesting, but not helpful for my application.

neither liberty nor safety."
                                                -- Benjamin Franklin

Libre de virus. www.avast.com