Counting all results before LIMIT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Counting all results before LIMIT
Date
List pgsql-general
We have a PHP web application that pulls results from the database and paginates them.
We show e.g. "1-50 of 300" so the user knows how many total results there are, and which ones are currently being displayed.
To achieve this, we use a query with LIMIT...OFFSET to get the displayed results, and we do another identical query using count(*) to get the total count.
Is there a more efficient way to do this that does not require us to do two queries? I just feel that it's a waste of resources the way we do it.

Thanks!

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Senior Systems Engineer