Re: psql swallowed my "BEGIN;" on reset... user beware? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Re: psql swallowed my "BEGIN;" on reset... user beware?
Date
Re: psql swallowed my "BEGIN;" on reset... user beware?  (Ryan Kelly <rpkelly22@gmail.com>)
Re: psql swallowed my "BEGIN;" on reset... user beware?  (Ryan Kelly <rpkelly22@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com> wrote:
After restarting the server in another window, I was surprised that my command did not run in a transaction:

spc_test_scratch=# BEGIN; DROP VIEW IF EXISTS ptest_mip ; DROP VIEW rent_info; \i create.view.rent_info.sql
FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command
        before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
NOTICE:  view "ptest_mip" does not exist, skipping
DROP VIEW
DROP VIEW
CREATE VIEW
spc_test_scratch=# commit;
WARNING:  there is no transaction in progress
COMMIT

This seems like a pretty serious issue. My opinion is that psql should refuse to execute further commands on a line of input if any of them fails due to a terminated connection.

Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering
2323 Cumberland Parkway, Suite 201 | Atlanta, GA 30339
moshe@neadwerx.com |
www.neadwerx.com

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle