Need solution for weekly database "snapshot" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
Date
Re: Need solution for weekly database "snapshot"
List pgsql-general
We have a report in our system that is pulled many times each week, but needs to be based off data from Sunday at noon. So every Sunday at noon, we back up our main database and restore it into a new reporting snapshot database.

The problem is that backing up and restoring the database every week is a very costly operation that can take many hours. It brings the system to its knees.

Unfortunately the report touches a lot of the database, so it would be unreasonable to try to add versioning to the data the report pulls.

Is there an easier way of maintaining a snapshot of our database that can be accessed throughout the week?

Thanks for any suggestion.

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle