Re: Can you spot the difference? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Re: Can you spot the difference?
Date
List pgsql-general
That was it! Thanks Adrian and Tom!

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
On 04/16/2013 12:07 PM, Moshe Jacobson wrote:
Hi PostgreSQL friends,

I have two databases in the same cluster that are almost identical. One
is a copy of the other as we are developing some new features in the copy.

My problem is that the exact same simple query performs great in the
original database ("ises") and dismally in the copy database
("ises_coelacanth"). The problem is that in ises, it uses an index scan,
but in ises_coelacanth it uses a sequential scan:

The difference is that Postgres is coming to alternate conclusions as to what plan to use. Given that the copy is causing the 'problem', the question to ask is; did you run ANALYZE on the table once the data was copied in?

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com