How to clone a running master cluster? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject How to clone a running master cluster?
Date
Re: How to clone a running master cluster?  (Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a master database cluster on one server, and it is configured to ship logs via scp to an archive directory on my slave server. The slave server is configured for streaming replication, and also is configured to delete the archived xlogs when they are no longer needed (using pg_archivecleanup).

I have a third machine on which I'd like to get another master cluster running, and I'd like it to start with a copy of my current master. I'd cannot restart my master, and would prefer not to restart my slave either.

Given my xlog archive configuration, Is there a way to clone my master cluster to another machine, including all of the necessary xlogs, without bringing down the original master or slave? Step-by-step instructions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle