Re: Strange locking problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Re: Strange locking problem
Date
Re: Strange locking problem  (Moshe Jacobson <moshe@neadwerx.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM, Moshe Jacobson <moshe@neadwerx.com> wrote:
What could be causing this ROW SHARE lock to be in place for some cloning operations and not others? Perhaps there is a way to see which specific statement is causing the lock to occur, but I'm not sure how to look this up. Any help would be appreciated.

Update:

Apparently the hanging updates to tb_entity are not only related to fn_clone_location_map(), because a hung update to tb_entity did not correspond to a running instance of fn_clone_location_map().

I looked at pg_locks for one hung update to tb_entity, and it said it had an un-granted lock of type transactionid, for another transaction ID.

I wanted to see what was happening in that transaction ID that might be causing this lock to be held, but I was unsure how. I know I can look in pg_locks for the other transaction, but that will not tell me what statement is executing in that transaction. pg_stat_activity does not have a transaction ID column.

How can I see what statement is executing in a transaction?

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle