Re: Strange behavior of "=" as assignment operator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Moshe Jacobson
Subject Re: Strange behavior of "=" as assignment operator
Date
Re: Strange behavior of "=" as assignment operator  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Both are supported.  It's not really documented as using '=' is
considered 'legacy' but it's also extensively used and removing it would
break quite a bit of code for people.

This is crazy! By leaving it in, they are allowing my obsolescent code to compile and run without warning!
This means that one day down the road, MY code is going to break because the developers assumed that this obsolescent behavior was OK to turn on by default.
IMO they should have disabled the default acceptance of "=" and given us an option to enable it if our code broke.
Not leaving it in by default.

Any PG committers who can change this in 9.3?

--
Moshe Jacobson
Nead Werx, Inc. | Manager of Systems Engineering

"Quality is not an act, it is a habit." -- Aristotle