Re: [HACKERS] map_partition_varattnos() and whole-row vars - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Khandekar
Subject Re: [HACKERS] map_partition_varattnos() and whole-row vars
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 28 July 2017 at 11:17, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> On 2017/07/26 16:58, Amit Langote wrote:
>> Rajkumar Raghuwanshi reported [1] on the "UPDATE partition key" thread
>> that whole-row vars don't play nicely with partitioned table operations.
>>
>> For example, when used to convert WITH CHECK OPTION constraint expressions
>> and RETURNING target list expressions, it will error out if the
>> expressions contained whole-row vars.  That's a bug, because whole-row
>> vars are legal in those expressions.  I think the decision to output error
>> upon encountering a whole-row in the input expression was based on the
>> assumption that it will only ever be used to convert partition constraint
>> expressions, which cannot contain those.  So, we can relax that
>> requirement so that its other users are not bitten by it.
>>
>> Attached fixes that.
>
> Attached a revised version of the patch.
>
> Updated patch moves the if (found_whole_row) elog(ERROR) bit in
> map_partition_varattnos to the callers.  Only the callers know if
> whole-row vars are not expected in the expression it's getting converted
> from map_partition_varattnos.  Given the current message text (mentioning
> "partition key"), it didn't seem appropriate to have the elog inside this
> function, since it's callable from places where it wouldn't make sense.

create table foo (a int, b text) partition by list (a);
create table foo1 partition of foo for values in (1);
create table foo2(b text, a int) ;
alter table foo attach partition foo2 for values in (2);

postgres=# insert into foo values (1, 'hi there');
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# insert into foo values (2, 'bi there');
INSERT 0 1
postgres=# insert into foo values (2, 'error there') returning foo;
ERROR:  table row type and query-specified row type do not match
DETAIL:  Table has type text at ordinal position 1, but query expects integer.

This is due to a mismatch between the composite type tuple descriptor
of the leaf partition doesn't match the RETURNING slot tuple
descriptor.

We probably need to do what
inheritance_planner()=>adjust_appendrel_attrs() does for adjusting the
attrs in the child rel parse tree; i.e., handle some specific nodes
other than just simple var nodes. In adjust_appendrel_attrs_mutator(),
for whole row node, it updates var->vartype to the child rel.

I suspect that the other nodes that adjust_appendrel_attrs_mutator
handles (like JoinExpr, CurrentOfExpr, etc ) may also require similar
adjustments for our case, because WithCheckOptions (and I think even
RETURNING) can have a subquery.