Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Khandekar
Subject Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 12 May 2017 at 08:30, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I also find the current behavior with respect to triggers quite odd.
>>> The two points that appears odd are (a) Executing both before row
>>> update and delete triggers on original partition sounds quite odd.
>> Note that *before* trigger gets fired *before* the update happens. The
>> actual update may not even happen, depending upon what the trigger
>> does. And then in our case, the update does not happen; not just that,
>> it is transformed into delete-insert. So then we should fire
>> before-delete trigger.
>>

> Sure, I am aware of that point, but it doesn't seem obvious that both
> update and delete BR triggers get fired for original partition.  As a
> developer, it might be obvious to you that as you have used delete and
> insert interface, it is okay that corresponding BR/AR triggers get
> fired, however, it is not so obvious for others, rather it appears
> quite odd.

I agree that it seems a bit odd that we are firing both update and
delete triggers on the same partition. But if you look at the
perspective that the update=>delete+insert is a user-aware operation,
it does not seem that odd.

> If we try to compare it with the non-partitioned update,
> there also it is internally a delete and insert operation, but we
> don't fire triggers for those.

For a non-partitioned table, the delete+insert is internal, whereas
for partitioned table, it is completely visible to the user.

>>> (b) It seems inconsistent to consider behavior for row and statement
>>> triggers differently
>>
>> I am not sure whether we should compare row and statement triggers.
>> Statement triggers are anyway fired only per-statement, depending upon
>> whether it is update or insert or delete. It has nothing to do with
>> how the rows are modified.
>>

> Okay.  The broader point I was trying to convey was that the way this
> patch defines the behavior of triggers doesn't sound good to me.  It
> appears to me that in this thread multiple people have raised points
> around trigger behavior and you should try to consider those.

I understand that there is no single solution which will provide
completely intuitive trigger behaviour. Skipping BR delete trigger
should be fine. But then for consistency, we should skip BR insert
trigger as well, the theory being that the delete+insert are not fired
by the user so we should not fire them. But I feel both should be
fired to avoid any consequences unexpected to the user who has
installed those triggers.

The only specific concern of yours is that of firing *both* update as
well as insert triggers on the same table, right ? My explanation for
this was : we have done this before for UPSERT, and we had documented
the same. We can do it here also.

>  Apart from the options, Robert has suggested, another option could be that
> we allow firing BR-AR update triggers for original partition and BR-AR
> insert triggers for the new partition.  In this case, one can argue
> that we have not actually updated the row in the original partition,
> so there is no need to fire AR update triggers,

Yes that's what I think. If there is no update happened, then AR
update trigger should not be executed. AR triggers are only for
scenarios where it is guaranteed that the DML operation has happened
when the trigger is being executed.

> but I feel that is what we do for non-partitioned table update and it should be okay here
> as well.

I don't think so. For e.g. if a BR trigger returns NULL, the update
does not happen, and then the AR trigger does not fire as well. Do you
see any other scenarios for non-partitioned tables, where AR triggers
do fire when the update does not happen ?

Overall, I am also open to skipping both insert+delete BR trigger, but
I am trying to convince above that this might not be as odd as it
sounds, especially if we document this clearly why we have done.

--
Thanks,
-Amit Khandekar