Re: Locale Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Parris
Subject Re: Locale Issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Don Parris <parrisdc@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM, Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Don Parris <parrisdc@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
you install the PostgreSQL packages, it runs pg_createcluster for you.
If you don't like the locale or encoding you used, you run
pg_dropcluster and pg_createcluster as you did. The reason why your
database did not work after doing this is probably obvious from your
log files.

Hi Stuart,

 <SNIP>

But I still come back to the locale issue.  I am glad I was on the right track in replacing the cluster.  Still, how could I have made UTF-8 the default encoding at install time?  Maybe the very first step on a Kubuntu system should be to replace the cluster before doing anything else.  Or maybe there is a locale setting that can be changed to ensure the pgsql package gets the 'right' cues?

<SNIP>
I did find a (bit dated) response on the UbuntuForums site, but assume the basic advice applies:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/20880/how-do-i-create-a-unicode-databases-in-postgresql-8-4
~#export LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
~#export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
~#export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
~#locale-gen en_US.UTF-8
~#dpkg-reconfigure locales

The recommendation is to change the OS locale settings and use dpkg to reconfigure locales *before* recreating the cluster.

I really do think the Ubuntu documentation needs to clarify that.

Finally, I am ever more convinced that a recent update effectively blew up my connectivity.

--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate