Re: [GENERAL] partitioning question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Samad
Subject Re: [GENERAL] partitioning question
Date
List pgsql-general
The comparison would be

a if then else end if .. about 8 of them 2013-> and a static insert into

v's

making a dynamic string and using execute, my presumption would be the execute would be expensive verses a INSERT command

On 1 August 2017 at 07:04, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> How expensive is dynamic over static.  I'm looking at storing yearly now, so
> I figure if my if then clause has the latest year at the top it should be
> very quick.

Assuming you're not doing anything particularly crazy it's minimal.
But what is good performance for one application may not be acceptable
for others. Generally the cost of inserting is MUCH higher than the
cost of dynamically setting the target, esp if you stick to plpgsql
and don't try to use rules to accomplish it.