Re: additional json functionality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: additional json functionality
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 9:42 AM, Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> This is supported by the fact that current functions on json-source
> treat it as json-object (for example key lookup gives you the value
> of latest key and not a list of all matching key values).

yeah. hm. that's a good point.

Maybe there's a middle ground here: I bet the compatibility issues
would be minimized to an acceptable level if the 'xxx_to_json'
functions maintained their current behaviors; they would construct the
json type in a special internal mode that would behave like the
current type does.   In other words, the marshalling into binary
structure could happen when:

*) stored do a column in a table
*) when any modifying routine is called, updating a key, value, etc
*) manually via a function

but not at cast time.  This preserves compatibility for the important
points and allows serialization of structures that are difficult with
the binary mode variant.

merln