Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date
Re: elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database  (Artur Litwinowicz <admin@ybka.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp> wrote:
> 2012/3/6 Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>:
>> It seems to me that the only thing that needs core support is the
>> ability to start up the daemon when postmaster is ready to accept
>> queries, and shut the daemon down when postmaster kills backends (either
>> because one crashed, or because it's shutting down).
>>
> So, although my motivation is not something like Cron in core,
> it seems to me Alvaro's idea is quite desirable and reasonable,
> to be discussed in v9.3.

100% agree  (having re-read the thread and Alvaro's idea having sunk
in).  Being able to set up daemon processes side by side with the
postmaster would fit the bill nicely.  It's pretty interesting to
think of all the places you could go with it.

merlin