Re: Change column type from int to bigint - quickest way - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Change column type from int to bigint - quickest way
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, November 11, 2016, Andreas Brandl <ml@3.141592654.de> wrote:
Hi,

we have a pretty big table with an integer-type primary key. I'm looking for the quickest way to change the column type to bigint to avoid hitting the integer limit. We're trying to avoid prolonged lock situations and full table rewrites.

I know I can hack this with an UPDATE on pg_attribute:

-- change id type to bigint
update pg_attribute set atttypid=20 where attrelid=264782 and attname = 'id';

After that I'd need to reflect the change on dependent objects like views as well.

Is this safe to do? Are there any unwanted consequences to this?

This is still on 9.1 unfortunately - upgrade is going to follow soon after this.

Thanks!
Andreas

Hm.  just thinking out loud:

How about making a new column without default that is bigint and updated via trigger.  then you can over time update the table row by row in batches over many transactions to initialize the id.  once completely set you can do a swap with some carefully written and tested ddl  that will exchange out the name and any dependent objects such as ri triggers.

The exchanging step ought to be quick.  you may have to temporarily disable ri checks to keep things running smooth.

merlin