Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Request: pg_cancel_backend variant that handles 'idle in transaction' sessions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:

>> >I'm not sure of that.  I can certainly see a use for transaction
>> >timeouts- after all, they hold locks and can be very disruptive in the
>> >long run.  Further, there are cases where a transaction is normally very
>> >fast and in a corner case it becomes extremely slow and disruptive to
>> >the rest of the system.  In those cases, having a timeout for it is
>> >valuable.
>>
>> Yeah but anything holding a lock that long can be terminated via
>> statement_timeout can it not?
>
> Well, no?  statement_timeout is per-statement, while transaction_timeout
> is, well, per transaction.  If there's a process which is going and has
> an open transaction and it's holding locks, that can be an issue.
>
> To be frank, my gut feeling is that transaction_timeout is actually more
> useful than statement_timeout.

Exactly.  statement_timeout is weak because it resets for every
statement regardless of transaction.  Similarly, pg_cancel_backend is
weak because it only works if a backend is actually in statement
regardless of transaction state (reading this thread, it's clear that
this is not widely known even among -hackers which further reinforces
the point).

Thus, I think we have consensus that transaction_timeout is good -- it
would deprecate statement_timeout essentially.  Likewise,
pg_cancel_transaction is good and would deprecate pg_cancel_backend;
it's hard for me to imagine a scenario where a user would call
pg_cancel_backend if pg_cancel_transaction were to be available.

merlin