Re: [JDBC] Regarding GSoc Application - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [JDBC] Regarding GSoc Application
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> How will the user access this? Will it be a normal query through the
> existing API ? Will it be a private postgresql API ?
>
> How will they set it up ? It appears complicated as you have to setup
> PL/Java as well

Yeah -- it will run through pl/java (at least, that's the idea). What
pl/java brings to the table is well thought out integration of the JVM
to postgres so that you can invoke java as functions from postgres.
PL/java of course is a heavy dependency and non-trivial to set up and
install.  But to access the jdbc from postgres I think it's the
easiest way forward.  Straight JNI to the JVM from FDW might be a
better/cleaner route but we haven't done the research to see exactly
what's involved there.  I suspect that invoking java from postgres is
non trivial any way you slice it and that's not a wheel worth
re-inventing.

In other words, the basic idea is to do two things: a dblink-ish
wrapper for JDBC via pl/java and a FDW wrapper through that via SPI.
Better ideas and criticism are welcome of course.

merlin