Re: Using varchar primary keys. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Using varchar primary keys.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Jasen Betts <jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2013 at 07:08:15PM +1300, Tim Uckun wrote:
>> >
>> > how about using an enum instead of this table?
>> >

>> That's an interesting idea.  Are enums mutable?
>

> since 9.1 you can add values.
>
>   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-altertype.html

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think enums are designed to act
as a primary key except in cases where the data is basically static
and is relatively small.  For starters, any manipulation of the enum
requires a lock.

enums can be a real life saver when you need custom ordering built
into a string, especially if that ordering is floated over a composite

merlin