Re: [HACKERS] Regarding GSoc Application - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Regarding GSoc Application
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:
> So I'm confused, once they link a file to an FDW can't you just read
> it with an normal select ?
>
> What additional functionality will this provide ?
>
> Dave

The basic objective is to expose the JDBC to postgres for grabbing
external data.  FDW is a C API and JDBC is java routines so the main
challenge is to figure out how to jump from a FDW call into java.
pl/java is one way to solve that problem.

Once done, you should be able to FDW to any jdbc supporting data
source, which is basically everything.

merlin