Re: How to create read-only view on 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: How to create read-only view on 9.3
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 08/13/2013 03:25 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
>> I chatted about this on IRC for a bit.  Apparently, updatability of
>> views is a mandatory feature in the sql standard and by relying on the
>> read-only-ness you were relying on non-standard behavior essentially.
>> I admit this is a pretty big pain (and I'm a real stickler for
>> backwards compatibility) but it's pretty hard to argue with the
>> standard.   Workarounds are to revoke various privileges.
>
> Perhaps pg_dump from 9.3 should add REVOKE ALL ...; GRANT SELECT ...;
> when dumping views from older postgreSQL versions ?

I thought so initially until I learned that views are expressly
read-write per the standard; we're not changing behavior but
implementing required functionality.  So (at the least) I don't think
it's fair to expect users who don't care about this point to have to
go re-GRANT the appropriate privs -- so if you did that I think it
would have to be an optional switch to pg_dump.  That said, it's
pretty much a given this is going to burn some people and given the
potential security considerations maybe some action is warranted.
Personally, I'd be satisfied with a dump time warning though or
perhaps a strongly worded note in the documentation?

merlin

merlin