Re: libpq PQexecParams & value placeholders - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: libpq PQexecParams & value placeholders
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 6:09 AM Oleg <lego12239@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 02:47:12PM +0300, Dmitry Igrishin wrote:
> > пт, 14 дек. 2018 г. в 14:33, Oleg <lego12239@yandex.ru>:
> > >
> > > Hi, all.
> > >
> > > Do we really need a numeric value placeholders like $1 in command string?
> > It's a syntax defined at the backend side.
> > (https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-prepare.html)
>
> I know this, but i can't understand why this approach is used.
>
> > > Construction of such string for complex non-static queries is very annoying.
> > That's why there are libraries like Pgfe
> > (https://github.com/dmitigr/pgfe) or libpqtypes
>
> This is C++ :-(.
>
> > (http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/)
>
> This is great! PQexecf() is what i need. Why this api is not the part of libpq?
> Thank you for the link!

FYI, I need to move the project to github and I have a few bugfixes
that have not been sent up yet.  Please let me know if you have any
issues.

The postgres core team very graciously extended the libpq API in order
to make libpqtypes work seamlessly with libpq, so they deserve some
credit here.  Direct C programming against the database is a somewhat
niche developer segment and when incorporating new libraries there you
have to carefully manage usefulness vs support down the line.

Having said that I still believe it remains to be the best way to
write against the libpq API, or C database development generally.
There's nothing else like it FWICT.

I personally lost some interest in the project when the json train
really started to leave the station as it changed the way I developed
against the database.

merlin