Re: [GENERAL] Shared Constants in PLPGSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Shared Constants in PLPGSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 8:29 AM, Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my case I don't expect these constants to be changed on a regular basis.
> They will be set just once and that's it. I was thinking it would be just as
> easy to set them in a proc as it would be to set them in a table. By putting
> them in an immutable proc I can hopefully save a couple of compute cycles.

Sure. The point is, by having a proc return a table based composite
type, you can simplify changes down the line.   Adding a new setting
can be done via ALTER.  Changing a setting (should it become
necessary) can be done with an UPDATE.   The immutable wrapping
function does eliminate some fetches and I would generally write that
wrapper.

merlin