Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
> I know toast compresses, but I believe its only one row.  page level would
> compress better because there is more data, and it would also decrease the
> amount of IO, so it might speed up disk access.

er, but when data is toasted it's spanning pages.  page level
compression is a super complicated problem.

something that is maybe more attainable on the compression side of
things is a userland api for compression -- like pgcrypto is for
encryption.  even if it didn't make it into core, it could live on
reasonably as a pgfoundry project.

merlin