Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?
Date
Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Re: Call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012: Project ideas?  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 03/08/2012 01:40 PM, Stefan Keller wrote:
> Hi
>
> I do have a student who is interested in participating at the Google
> Summer of Code (GSoC) 2012
> Now I have the "burden" to look for a cool project... Any ideas?
>
> -Stefan

How about one of:

1) on disk page level compression (maybe with LZF or snappy) (maybe not page level, any level really)

I know toast compresses, but I believe its only one row.  page level would compress better because there is more data,
andit would also decrease the amount of IO, so it might speed up disk access.

2) better partitioning support.  Something much more automatic.

3) take a nice big table, have it inserted/updated a few times a second.  Then make "select * from bigtable where
indexed_field= 'somevalue'; work 10 times faster than it does today.

I think there is also a wish list on the wiki somewhere.

-Andy