Re: SeqScan with full text search - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: SeqScan with full text search
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Tomek Walkuski
<tomek.walkuski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello group!
>
> I have query like this:
>
> SELECT
>  employments.candidate_id AS candidate_id,
>  SUM(TS_RANK(employers.search_vector, TO_TSQUERY('simple', 'One:* |
> Two:* | Three:* | Four:*'), 2)) AS ts_rank
> FROM
>  employments
> INNER JOIN
>  employers ON employments.employer_id = employers.id
> AND
>  employers.search_vector @@ TO_TSQUERY('simple', 'One:* | Two:* |
> Three:* | Four:*')
> GROUP BY
>  candidate_id;
>
> And it results with this:
>
> http://explain.depesz.com/s/jLM
>
> The JOIN between employments and employers is the culprit. I'm unable
> to get rid of the seq scan, and setting enable_seqscan to off makes
> things even worse.
>
> Is there any way to get rid of this JOIN?

get rid of the join?  the seq scan is natural since it seems like
you're querying the whole table, right?  maybe if you explained the
problem in more detail (especially why you think the seq scan might
not be required)?

merlin