Re: jsonb and nested hstore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Here's a draft cleanup on the JSON section of the Datatype docs.  Since
> there's been a bunch of incremental patches on this, I just did a diff
> against HEAD.
>
> I looked over json-functions a bit, but am not clear on what needs to
> change there; the docs are pretty similar to other sections of
> Functions, and if they're complex it's because of the sheer number of
> JSON-related functions.
>
> Anyway, this version of datatypes introduces a comparison table, which I
> think should make things a bit clearer for users.

I still find the phrasing "as jsonb is more efficient for most
purposes" to be a bit off  Basically, the text json type is faster for
serialization/deserialization pattern (not just document preservation)
and jsonb is preferred when storing json and doing repeated
subdocument accesses.

merlin